It’s officially the season of holiday parties and potlucks, and with that, comes the decision of what to bring or share. With everything going on this time of year, there’s definitely no shame in bringing premade or not-from-scratch goodies. These decadent, chewy brownies are sure to please as they combine two of (pretty much) everyone’s favourite holiday treats: chocolate and candy canes! Even better? You won’t need to slave over the oven baking brownies all night (use boxed mix), and they only cost around $5.00 to make!
1. Prepare and bake brownie mix as per box instructions.
2. While brownies are still hot and just out of the oven, pour about 1 cup of chocolate or vanilla (or both) wafers and spread as they begin to melt. (Licking the spatula is optional). Tip: If you don’t use wafers often, buy only the amount you need from a bulk-food store, instead of purchasing a whole package.
3. Sprinkle approximately 1/4 cup (or as much as you like) crushed candy canes overtop of the melted chocolate, while it’s still warm. The easies way to crush candy canes is to place them in a sandwich bag and go over them with a rolling pin.
4. Allow to cool for around 30-40 minutes, then place in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to fully harden the chocolate topping. Tip: Don’t leave these in the refrigerator for much longer than what’s listed above, or your brownies will dry out.
5. Cut into as many (or as few) pieces as you like, garnish with some extra crushed candy cane or chocolate sauce, and graciously accept all the compliments you receive as guests lay their hands on your delicious, pepperminty masterpiece!
It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air.